Tuesday 16 March 2010

Research summary so far...

My research began by considering non-verbal communication, such as time, space and gesture. I immediately referred back to Dan Roosegaardes Dune and the idea of the piece reacting to the viewers movement, proximity and touch. This lead me to explore other works of his, in particular Liquid Space which transformed in size, colour, brightness and sound to the viewers movements and interaction. I then thought about what materials are available which can transform themselves - thermochromic textiles react to heat, becoming more vibrant/visible when heat is applied. A change in persons body heat is a way of the body communicating and reacting to stimuli. A persons temperature could increase due to increased heat in their environment, or from certain emotions, nervousness, embarrassment etc. This opened up the possibility of concealing messages in the garments, which would only become visible when heat was applied. I also began to think about fabrics which could become transparent, once again this led me back to Dan Roosengaarde, using smart foils and wireless devices which interact with each other when in close proximity causing the fabric to become transparent. I would like to explore this idea in my design, making 'pairs' of outfits which transform each other when they get close, revealing layers underneath the garments. For example, when the garments were to cross on the runway the smart foils would become transparent, and then gain solidity when moving further away from its partner.

I have looked into surrounding environment in terms of communication - changes in temperature, proximity to objects, but i haven't looked much into time and the effect that has on a person's interpretation of communication. Therefore I would like to research this further.

No comments:

Post a Comment